CIRCUS CIRCUS MISSISSIPPI, INC. SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT FACT SHEET
On May 2, 2007, the Department of Justice and Circus Circus Mississippi Inc. entered into a settlement agreement to resolve violations under title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) with respect to the Gold Strike Casino Resort in Tunica, Mississippi. Circus Circus Mississippi, Inc. is a subsidiary of MGM Mirage. This fact sheet sets out highlights of the settlement agreement and should provide guidance to other casino resorts on how to ensure that they are meeting the requirements of the ADA and providing non-discriminatory services to individuals with disabilities.
The Gold Strike Casino Resort includes a casino and a 31-story hotel with 1131 guest rooms and suites; six restaurants or bars; a meeting and convention center; a theater; and specialty shops.
Highlights of the Agreement
Hotel Guest Rooms and Suites
- In guest rooms and suites not designated as accessible, doors to adjoining rooms and into toilet rooms will be widened when necessary to provide a minimum clear opening width of 32".
- Designated accessible guest rooms and suites will be dispersed among the various classes of sleeping accommodations and will be configured to comply with the ADA Standards for Accessible Design.
- All designated accessible guest rooms and suites for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing will provide visual alarms that are attached to the building’s emergency alarm system.
- The reservations system will be modified to ensure that reservations can be made for accessible rooms over the Internet.
Theater and Assembly Areas
- The Millennium Theatre will disburse its wheelchair accessible seating, create fixed companion seating, and add aisle seats with removable arm rests.
- The Theatre will modify one of its existing dressing rooms to create an accessible dressing room for performers.
- The Theatre and other assembly areas, such as the conference center and meeting rooms, will provide an adequate number of assistive listening devices to accommodate individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Elevator access will be provided to each level of the Gold Strike.
- Routes from parking areas will be made accessible.
- Designated accessible parking spaces will be added and signage for accessible spaces corrected.
- Sales and service counters will be lowered or equivalent facilitation provided.
- Public toilet rooms and dressing rooms and employee locker rooms shall be made fully accessible, including signage.
- Certain restaurants and bars will add accessible fixed tables or booths.
Management and Staff Training
- Circus Circus Mississippi, Inc. will provide training for first line supervisors and managers on the requirements of the ADA.
- Management staff and employees will make reasonable modifications of policies, practices and procedures to accommodate individuals with disabilities. ADA Compliance Officer and Grievance Procedure
- Circus Circus Mississippi, Inc. will appoint an ADA Compliance Officer who will be responsible for handling disability related complaints from guests and patrons.
- Circus Circus Mississippi Inc. will develop and implement an ADA Complaint Resolution Policy to address ADA related complaints by guests and patrons.
- Circus Circus Mississippi, Inc. shall pay $25,000 in civil penalties to the United States.