Figure 12: NPV for Selected Facilities with Public and Private

The figure shows S-shaped curves that compare the likely NPV for four illustrative public and private educational facility groups.  The x axis is labeled "Net Present Value (billions $)" and the y axis is labeled "Probability of Not Exceeding." The S-shaped curve for the Undergraduate public schools facility group is on the far left of the figure and uses small diamonds to designate points on the curve.  For Undergraduate public schools, the NPV at 10% probability is negative $ 0.5 billion, the NPV at 50% probability is negative $ 0.4 billion, and the NPV at 90% probability is negative $ 0.3 billion.  The S-shaped curve for the Elementary private schools facility group is second from the left and uses small circles to designate points on the curve.  For Elementary private schools, the NPV at 10% probability is $ 0.0 billion, the NPV at 50% probability is $ 0.1 billion, and the NPV at 90% probability is $ 0.1 billion.  The S-shaped curve for the Elementary public schools facility group is second from the right in the figure and uses small rectangles to designate points on the curve.  For Elementary public schools, the NPV at 10% probability is $ 0.2  billion, the NPV at 50% probability is $ 0.5 billion, and the NPV at 90% probability is $ 0.9 billion. The S-shaped curve for the Undergraduate private schools facility group is on the  far right-hand side of the figure and uses small triangles to designate points on the curve.  For Undergraduate private schools, the NPV at 10% probability is $ 3.2  billion, the NPV at 50% probability is $ 4.3 billion, and the NPV at 90% probability is $ 5.6 billion.